Home > mobile > How to Con­nect the Sam­sung Galaxy S (I9000) via USB

How to Con­nect the Sam­sung Galaxy S (I9000) via USB

July 23rd, 2010 Leave a comment

So, this week I bought the Sam­sung Galaxy S (I9000) so that I too could revel in the Android glory. I did a litte research before buy­ing the phone and in the end I had to make my choice between the HTC Desire and the Sam­sung Galaxy S (I9000). I went for the Galaxy S because of the Super AMOLED, the 8 GB stor­age, and the big­ger screen. Up until an hour ago I liked what I had.

When I tried to con­nect the phone to the PC to access the SD card though, it didn’t really work. I tried chang­ing a few set­tings and I even installed Sam­sung Kies which didn’t help either. Alright, a chal­lenge then. I set my mind to the task and here’s how I finally man­aged to access the phone’s inter­nal SD card on my PC run­ning Win­dows XP. On Win­dows 7 every­thing just works so there’s no need to install or change any­thing at all.

1. Install Sam­sungs New PC Stu­dio for the dri­vers (Alter­na­tively, you can try to locate only the dri­vers some­where else on the web).
    2. Go to Set­tings – About phone – USB set­tings and choose Ask on connection.
    3. Go to Set­tings – Appli­ca­tions – Devel­op­ment and turn on USB debugging.
    4. Con­nect the phone via USB, choose Mass stor­age from the menu, slide the noti­fi­ca­tion drawer down and select “Select to copy files to/from your computer”.
    5. Con­firm the popup by press­ing “Mount”.

Now comes the impor­tant part because this didn’t work the first time.

1. Dis­con­nect the phone in the noti­fi­ca­tion drawer und dis­con­nect the USB cable.
    2. Go to Set­tings – Appli­ca­tions – Devel­op­ment and turn off USB  debugging.
    3. Con­nect the phone again as out­lined above and now every­thing should work normally.

That’s how I got my Galaxy S work­ing. Every­thing else I tried did noth­ing at all – and I lit­er­ally searched through lots of forums. As long as there’s a solu­tion I don’t mind. Sure, it sucks big time but at least I didn’t have to con­tact sup­port and wait days or weeks for a solution.

Categories: mobile Tags: , ,
    1. MikeD
      February 10th, 2012 at 03:24 | #1

Use ftp instead as sug­gested by the first poster (Jojo). This is the only sure way to trans­fer files in all envi­ron­ments. No com­puter dri­vers, Sam­sung apps, or cables (if using WiFi). Just works.

2. Ger­rit Raket
      February 20th, 2012 at 22:29 | #2

I rec­og­nize the prob­lem. Sam­sung mobile tele­phones do not com­mu­ni­cate prop­erly with a pc. Theis soft­ware to do this does not work. I now use my phone explorer. This works well. I will neve buy a sam­sung tele­phoe again

3. March 7th, 2012 at 19:09 | #3

I to am hav­ing the same issue, just tried con­nect­ing to my lap­top via the usb port, it says installing device dri­ver when i con­nect, but then says failed MTP device con­sult your device manufacturer

4. zakaria
      March 10th, 2012 at 08:38 | #4

Sir,
      i have a galaxy s 19000 mobile phone i have some prob­lem in my phone that my phone is not con­nect via usb port  i tried all set­ting regard­ing con­nect via usb port but still its not work­ing so please give me solu­tion regard­ing my problem

5. King Lee
      March 11th, 2012 at 19:54 | #5

I sim­ply went under set­tings, wire­less and net­work, usb set­tings, and selected mass stor­age. Con­nected the usb cable and was able to browse the files on my phone. I have the Sam­sung Galaxy S plus I9001

6. Alter­na­tive
      March 14th, 2012 at 11:07 | #6

For me, I just went to my phone set­tings to fix this prob­lem
      1) Set­tings
      2) Wire­less and net­work
      3) USB set­tings
      4) Select ‘Mass Stor­age’

Then boom it worked. I sup­pose this is only if you want to access your SD card and mass stor­age memory.

7. Eng Reza
      March 18th, 2012 at 08:01 | #7

sir i have a sam­sung mobile galaxyAC and dont know how to conect to te pc when i directly conect trough USB jut it charg­ing and i cant oper the SD Card an cant open my file to copy or past

8. anon
      April 3rd, 2012 at 05:25 | #8

Hi there :)
      Thank you for your solu­tion.  It worked for me, I just have to select mass stor­age and mount sd card but I am able to browse through the sd card and mass stor­age on my mobile. I have the fol­low­ing model; GT-I9000T
      Cheers

9. Leo
      April 4th, 2012 at 16:52 | #9

I gave up con­nect­ing my galaxy s plus to a com­puter. The sam­sung soft­ware is just one big fail. Most of the time I use drop­box to exchange files or put the exter­nal sd card in a other device which just works. This is my first sam­sung tele­phone and it eas­ily con­vinced my to never buy a sam­sung again.

10. Mike ~ D
      April 7th, 2012 at 02:16 | #10

lol funny u got th same name xD

11. Ilir­jan
      April 8th, 2012 at 19:26 | #11

I was think­ing to buy Galaxy s 111 but with galaxy s i got dis­ap­pointed and i can not con­nected to PC. I will never by Samsung again

12. Chris ODell
      April 9th, 2012 at 06:27 | #12

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  My son con­stantly wants to add music to his Galaxy S but I HATE it.  My com­puter would never find the phone for mass stor­age and drag and drop (as I do for my HTC) so it was sheer tor­ture to try to get songs trans­ferred.  I have lit­er­ally spent hours get­ting his music on his phone – finally searched to see if any­one had the same prob­lem; assumed it was my com­puter.  So, so, so glad I found this post, I was expect­ing another marathon trans­fer and after fol­low­ing your step by step the 20 song trans­fer took less than 5 min­utes.  You have no idea how much I appre­ci­ate your post – thanks again!

13. mar­i­o­bronx
      April 16th, 2012 at 00:06 | #13

Thanks a lot “Alter­na­tive”… I was about to get very annoyied with my new Sam­sun Galaxy S2!!!
      I expected Android more user-friendly

14. Michael
      April 18th, 2012 at 20:46 | #14

You messed up on your “Step 2″.    You wrote, “Go to Set­tings – About phone – USB set­tings and choose Ask on con­nec­tion.”   I’m pretty sure that you meant to put, “Appli­ca­tions”, instead of, “About Phone”.       Just saying…

15. JC
      April 19th, 2012 at 09:45 | #15

@Michael

Actu­ally, I did not. Things changed dur­ing the last few releases. I sim­ply didn’t bother updat­ing the post. ;)

16. ver­nohh
      April 26th, 2012 at 21:50 | #16

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCHHHHHH! had to skip around on the steps but it worked. =D

17. Roody S
      April 30th, 2012 at 01:06 | #17

I have a sam­sung galaxy s I try to make the teth­er­ing con­nec­tion with my pc I can’t or I got the htc my touch it works perfect.

18. Joanna
      May 2nd, 2012 at 14:03 | #18

Hi,
      Just wanted to say Thanks! I was becom­ing ore and more frus­trated as could not work this out – Googled it and found this – U saved the day Cheers :)

19. Emily
      May 5th, 2012 at 15:18 | #19

Hi,
      Have been try­ing for MONTHS to update the firmware on my Galaxy Si9000, which meant I had to update the Kies to acknowl­edge that there was actu­ally new firmware for the phone. BUT as soon as i updated the Kies when I con­nected my phone via USB it pops up with “USB Device NOt Recognised”…..have tried it on 2 dif­fer­ent PCs with the same result…. PLease please please does any­one know how to fix this? About to go Crazy!

20. JC
      May 5th, 2012 at 19:33 | #20

@Emily
      Yeah, I never got Kies to work with my GT-I9000. I chose to for­get this piece of crap soft­ware and flash the firmware myself. If you don’t care about war­ranty, you should try that for your­self. There are a lot of good guides on how to use Odin to flash the lat­est firmware. When I started doing things this way I relied on the guides from Android­Soul.

21. ste­vie
      May 12th, 2012 at 15:47 | #21

i dont see why so many peo­ple have prob­lems. just switch on the USB mass stor­age in the phone set­tings and both inter­nal & exter­nal stor­age can be mounted and viewed in win­dows explorer just like any other HD.

22. asabamuhamad@gmail.com
      May 16th, 2012 at 01:16 | #22

yeah i have a sam­sung vibrant and noth­ing is work­ing for me im try­ing so hard to update my phone but i can’t because every time i plug it to the com­puter it doesn’t work wtf do i do

23. Emily
      May 16th, 2012 at 15:14 | #23

@jc…..yeah I know. Totally frus­trated
      @stevie I’m not a com­plete idiot I did try all of those things and even called up Sam­sung the other day and spoke to two of their tech­ni­cians and even they had NO IDEA! My phone is out if war­ranty oth­er­wise they said they would’ve taken it back so after every­thing it looks like I just have to tol­er­ate it for another 2months until I can recon­tract and update to an iPhone….didn’t want to have to do it but sick of this android crap.
      Thanks all the same
      Oh and @ asaba­muhar if I were you I’d call Sam­sung and send it back if it’s still under warranty…

24. veron­ica
      May 22nd, 2012 at 14:36 | #24

its about time!!! it finally worked!! thank you heaps. been search­ing how to trans­fer fold­ers for so long and it worked. been try­ing to update my phone for a while and kies doesn’t seem to work :(

25. Rab­bit
      May 28th, 2012 at 13:17 | #25

i love you
      thanks so much <3

26. lev­is­lizzie
      May 30th, 2012 at 05:00 | #26

Thank you so much!!!!! Finally got it to work again. I had fig­ured out some­thing before, but will be sure to remem­ber this :)

27. Ashish Sharma
      June 2nd, 2012 at 00:03 | #27

Guys Guys Guys….
      Quit run­ning after the other pieces of advise… Lookup your GalaxyTab for KIES or Kies Air Dis­cov­ery Ser­vice… click it and fol­low instruc­tions… Its eas­ier than toss­ing your shoes and hit­ting the Bed
      Hope U get that and hope­fully I have under­stood the querY cor­rectly
      …care N Happy ANDROIDING

28. Ashish Sharma
      June 2nd, 2012 at 00:07 | #28

Hmm I guess I jumped the GUN… some of U did try Kies… Well I am a recent con­vert to ANDROID with my Galaxy Note and will keep U posted if I find any­thing to the prob­lems stated..
      For me the Kies was a breeze…. And I read about that in a forum too some­where… BTW this is how I landed here… BUT had got my fix before reach­ing this page among the oth­ers that Id GOOGLED thru

29. ank
      June 2nd, 2012 at 10:18 | #29

worst sug­ge­tion….. :(

30. aura
      June 15th, 2012 at 20:17 | #30

hi everyone..wanted to give up my sam­sung galaxyS19000 but because of the post­ing here i found solu­tions how to con­nect USB to my vaio laptop…done the fol­low­ing steps
      1. Set­tings
      2. USB set­tings
      3. Mass storage

then i go to noti­fi­ca­tions then click trans­fer files to com­puter or from com­puter to phone.

i go to my com­puter and click remov­able disk…thanks everyone…samsung phone is not user friendly but once you are famil­iar with it is bet­ter than iphone…

31. DW
      July 16th, 2012 at 22:35 | #31

@aura
      Thank you for that post. It finally worked. I kept get­ting errors on explorer say­ing it couldnt con­nect to the drive. Under noti­fi­ca­tions > Mount…it opened auto­mat­i­cally.
      Now I have my pics and videos.
      Cheers

32. Madeleine
      July 25th, 2012 at 11:02 | #32

Hiya,

I have a Sam­sung Galaxy S & have already worked out how to get the data off my SD card onto my PC but can’t for teh life of me get my con­tacts onto my PC. I’v ejust got a Sam­sung Galaxy S3 & want to trans­fer my con­tacts, I’ve tried via Kies but it’s doing the annoy­ing ‘Not con­nected’ (even though the lap­top is recog­nis­ing the phone as plugged in). I have got Kies to work in the past. Am get­ting v frus­trated with this & REALY don’t want to have to man­u­ally input all my con­tacts, I would have thought with mod­ern tech­nol­ogy that those days should be long gone!

I have also tried back­ing up my con­tacts to my googe­mail account but that won’t work either. Any help greatly appre­ci­ated! x

33. Bruce
      August 29th, 2012 at 10:09 | #33

Just got an S2 Galaxy & it con­nected to PC,but had issues with file trans­fers using XP Pro. Updated to Kies 2.3.2.12074_13 from Sam­sung web­site August 26 & now I can get at my S2 & also a friends originalS1 Galaxy – but I think there are issues if you don’t have your XP updates cur­rent also.

34. Bruce
      August 29th, 2012 at 10:58 | #34

FORGOT- basic install 101REMEMBER TO RE BOOT THE MACHINE AFTER YOU INSTALL Kies tomake sure it loads the cur­rent USB driver

35. Amit Joshi
      August 31st, 2012 at 08:48 | #35

Hi eveone need your help< I have sam­sung Galaxy S I 9000 mobile and want to con­nect the pen­drive to my mobile but am unable todo that.
      I request your help to give some sug­ges­tions how to con­nect to USB.

36. uncle ben
      September 7th, 2012 at 20:33 | #36

1) MUST use the USBDATA” cable (one with black color inside the con­nec­tor end go to lap­top).
      2) set up your USB set­ting to “Mass Stor­age”.
      3) Con­nect your mobile device to PC.
      (PC will ack the device via desk­top and via mobilde device the USB logo appear).
      4) Now just use Drag & Drop to copy files from / to PC to mobile device.
      –> If this set­ting STILL not work­ing for you, use this work-around below:
      5) Have SD card reader ready or it is great if your PC has that built-in reader slot.
      6) Unmount the SD card from your mobile device.
      7) Remove it from your mobile device.
      8) Insert your micro-SD to card reader and insert to your PC and copy files to it.
      9) Insert SD card back to mobile device and Mount it and up we go.
      –> I wish the Android and its apps are more robust to user in this regard.
      Enjoy folks.

37. Engi­neer Arif
      September 13th, 2012 at 07:20 | #37

Friends if you are fac­ing sam­sung con­nect with pc failed..then con­nect me i have soft­ware for all sam­sung models

38. James
      September 27th, 2012 at 02:19 | #38

so how dafauq do i con­nect one that has a smashed screen?
      Hence ren­der­ing me unable to change the set­tings in the phone.

39. Sreeju
      October 5th, 2012 at 18:33 | #39

Dear,
      regard­ing not con­nect­ing the phone using usb…… just restart the phone and try again..it worked for me

40. October 23rd, 2012 at 21:35 | #40

sir i have sam­sung galaxy i9000. i want to con­nect my mobile in PC stu­dio so what is pro­ce­dure and what i do when i con­ncet usb cable then shows mass stor­age option so sir plzzz help me because i want to play all options in my lap­top so sir help me and answer me thanxs
                                                                                                                      !!”K.A.M.I”!!

41. Andras
      November 9th, 2012 at 20:39 | #41

I fol­lowed your way.
      It just won’t work. Some USB hub do not rec­og­nize the phone as a drive. Other USB hub rec­og­nize it but only as a phone­book, noth­ing else. This is a Sam­sung Galaxy S I9000.

I had no prob­lems with any other, mor sim­pler phone device, but this is a crazy one. Over sophys­ti­cated to dif­fi­cult, and have not to much  exact software.

If any has good advice, well­come!
      Andras

42. Raghav
      November 16th, 2012 at 16:13 | #42

I have a Gt-I9000,i am using the stock firmware since 3 years and havt been able to update it since then.
      when i fol­low the steps given above,the phone hangs itself or it does not con­nect the KIES, Please advise,i really would want to start using a dif­fer­ent firmware. help would be appre­ci­ated deeply :)

43. SAIM
      December 18th, 2012 at 23:40 | #43

i have no sd card……
      how i con­nect my sel????????

44. FB
      January 2nd, 2013 at 16:10 | #44

I have spent the last 18 months try­ing every trick in the book to get my I9000 to work over USB – but failed – as have many other people.

Last time I buy a Sam­sung phone.

45. ger­rei
      February 1st, 2013 at 13:29 | #45

One advice is not to con­nect your phone via Hub.

46. peter
      February 2nd, 2013 at 03:03 | #46

I have been tear­ing what lit­tle hair out try­ing to get my galaxy 19000 to con­nect to any com­puter for three days. finally man­aged when i “dis­cov­ered” the con­nect­ing USB cable needed to be a data con­nec­tion cable with a BLACK not WHITE con­nec­tion in the USB port. my phone was recog­nised instantly on all 4 com­put­ers that i had pre­vi­ously tried!!!  i will add that on the phone i went to “set­tings” > “wire­less and net­works” > “USB set­tings” > “mass stor­age” before plug­ging the “usb data” cable into the com­put­ers. I am in China and the phone is the Chi­nese ver­sion so it can­not con­nect to Sam­sung Kies any­way. my heat­felt thanks to “Uncle Ben” who men­tioned the data cable in his post as i never knew that “two” usb types of cables existed! you can obvi­ously guess i am not ter­ri­bly com­puter savvy.

47. Peter M
      February 18th, 2013 at 21:38 | #47

Hi every­one. Have had sim­i­lar prob­lems in get­ting Kies to recog­nise my 19000 phone. WMP recog­nises the phone and let’s me see phone plus sd card. I can also mount the phone as drive and access things, BUT can­not get Kies to recog­nise it. Have tried all the fixes posted but still a prob­lem. I get a ‘unsup­ported device’ mes­sage. Am run­ning W8, but accord­ing to Sam­sung, this should not be a prob­lem. I par­tic­u­larly was hop­ing to sync to Out­look cal­en­dar.       Any fur­ther ideas?
      Thanks

48. mcnazario
      March 6th, 2013 at 08:24 | #48

well whats the kies function?..this post is brilliant..gr8 minds..im won­der­ing what the life span of this sam­sung s 19000 is?

49. jose